12 April 2008

Shut Up About Your Damn Taxes...

Taxes are good. They pay for things we use everyday without realizing it - things like roads, which no one seems to want to give up. I'm not thrilled about taxation, but I'm thrilled that I can call the fire department to save my house or that I can call the police department to save my life. Those are good, valuable things. I appreciate government spending like the Clean Air Act, particularly when it's not foiled by policitians who value the free market over the lives of the individuals who create and sustain the market. So I like taxes. I'm glad to pay them.

I realize that taxation has its negative aspects as well. Our taxes shouldn't be used in the corporate welfare system. Also, I'm not quite sure how I feel about agricultural subsidies. I like cheap food, and I'm glad that my family, who farm, has job security, but there's something uncomfortably immoral about the way our country handles food products. And don't get me started on the war. But part of being a citizen is dealing with things when they don't always go your way. I vote, and I deal with it. So shut up about your damn taxes and appreciate the way of life that they sustain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home