20 October 2006

Creating tests for high school students is silly. I recently discovered that if I want every kid in class to pass, then I can just construct a test which will allow every kid to pass. At the same time, I could just as easily construct a test which 90% of the kids will fail. How manipulative.

The real problem, though, is not assessment. It's making sure kids have the skills that will take them successfully through life, not necessarily the skills that No Child Left Behind thinks they should have.

My kids are smarter than most, on account of the lives that they lead. They are survivors. I can't teach them how to survive since they're already experts. Which leaves me with the unenviable task of teaching them quality and beauty, two ideas which are completely unassessable and rather difficult to lesson-plan.

Step one: Attempt to teach quality and beauty
Step three: Successful graduates
Commentary: Damnit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home