13 July 2006

Recently I managed to place my entire foot directly in my mouth. Amazing that the darn thing would fit all the way in there. Sometimes my life resembles a bad American sit-com or an hysterically satirical British one. Here's the lowdown: I wrote a few humorous sentences on an otherwise serious evaluation page for work, those sentences made their way into the hands of the big boss lady, the big boss lady assumed I was talking about her (which I wasn't) and took offense, I got into serious trouble while tumbling multiple steps in a downward direction on the non-profit ladder of success. There are many lessons to be learned here, and most of them are cliched.

The unspoken lesson, and perhaps the most interesting, is that when you manage to tumble downward on the non-profit ladder of success and the downward tumble wasn't caused by excessive drinking or drug use you just might be trying to get up the wrong ladder in the first place. Who knew working for ethical equality and being-for-the-Other could be so treacherous? Well, obviously the non-profit world is a generally treacherous place, but you shouldn't feel treachery from your own team. That kind of thing only happens in the business world, right?

As usual, this is about 50% my own fault. What, you thought it'd be all on me? Ha. Double Ha. But seriously, I gotta win the lottery or write a bestseller sometime soon or I'm gonna have a heart attack before I'm 40.

On a brighter note - I made it up a 60 foot rock-climbing wall at a local recreation center on the 5.6 level. It was exhilirating. The sense of accomplishment at making it up was great. The burning sensation in my arms, hands, and legs was the burn of success. And the terror of looking down from the top and letting go of the wall was an unparalleled adrenaline rush. It made all the petty bullshit from above disappear. . . . for about 60 seconds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home